Norma J. Shoemaker Award
The Norma J. Shoemaker Award for Critical Care Nursing Excellence honors Norma J. Shoemaker, RN, MN, FCCM, the Society of Critical Care Medicine’s (SCCM) first executive director. Norma Shoemaker’s career as a critical care nurse and SCCM executive director spanned the decades during which critical care evolved into a recognized specialty. As SCCM’s founding executive director, she played an instrumental role in nurturing SCCM, which evolved from humble beginnings to a professionally respected, international, multiprofessional organization. To encourage excellence in critical care nursing, and in recognition of Norma Shoemaker’s dedication to SCCM and critical care, the Norma J. Shoemaker Award for Critical Care Nursing Excellence was established in 1992.
The award recognizes an SCCM nurse member who demonstrates excellence in critical care clinical practice, education, and/or administration. The awardee receives $1,000 and complimentary registration to the SCCM Critical Care Congress and reimbursement of airfare and hotel expenses in an amount not to exceed $1,500.
Deadline and Submission
Nominations are due August 1.
- Nomination letter describing how the nominee meets the criteria.
- Letter in support of the nomination (from another SCCM Nursing Section member).
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae.
The nomination must detail the nominee’s contribution to critical care nursing excellence. It should validate the nominee’s clinical, educational, and/or leadership contributions relevant to critical care. The nominee’s involvement in local, chapter, or national SCCM committees or activities must be addressed. Letters of support must be from SCCM Nursing Section members who are in good standing.
The nominee must:
- Have been an active SCCM nurse member for a minimum of three years
- Have demonstrated commitment to SCCM through involvement in SCCM committees or activities at the local, chapter, or national level
- Have documented attendance at a minimum of one SCCM Critical Care Congress during the previous three years
For additional information regarding this award, please contact Carol Prendergast