LearnICU is a comprehensive library housing thousands of online educational materials, many available only to SCCM members.
Search the library or explore resources sorted by Knowledge Line (Category) or Content Type.
LearnICU > Implementing the C Element of the ABCDEF Bundle
Implementing the C Element of the ABCDEF Bundle
Quality and Patient Safety, Pharmacology, ICU Liberation,
Choice of analgesia and sedation offers guidance for a medication regimen for the management of pain and agitation in critically ill adults, consistent with PAD Guidelines recommendations.
This presentation aims to help construct a safe and effective medication regimen for the management of pain and agitation in critically ill adults, consistent with PAD Guidelines recommendations.
- Treat pain first before considering sedative therapy.
- Not all mechanically ventilated ICU patients need to be started on IV opioid and/or sedation infusions following intubation.
- Use IV bolus doses liberally before starting or increasing opioid or sedative IV infusions.
- Maximize strategies to avoid the use of continuous IV infusions of benzodiazepines:
- Optimize the use of IV opioids for pain management
- If lighter sedation is required, consider dexmedetomidine
- If deep sedation is required, consider propofol