In this hurricane season, hospitals may be faced with extraordinary challenges.
Hurricane Isaias is expected to hit Florida’s east coast as it gains strength entering the Bahamas. The storm is then expected to weaken as it moves up the East Coast. The emergency response will be complicated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- There currently is no plan to evacuate hospital patients, though reports indicate a small hospital in Brevard County is moving patients with COVID-19
- Because of social distancing guidelines, officials have urged residents to avoid shelter
- Emergency supplies of PPE are being distributed to Florida
Find Applicable COVID-19 Resources
During this extraordinary time, where hospitals and communities are facing two disasters simultaneously, SCCM is dedicated to providing you with resources as you respond to patient surges. Free resources include:
- SCCM's COVID-19 response resources are also available that will help prepare for surge response.
- Critical Care for Non-ICU Clinicians provides training in the fundamentals of initial assessment, airway management, mechanical ventilation, and other key topics. The training was developed in response to COIVD-19, but can help you prepare for any surge.